Thursday, February 23, 2012

Face-break

I'm on a Facebook break for Lent. Lent is a time to focus on Christ, a time some choose to give up something that distracts them from their walk with God. Facebook is a big time suck for me. And I realize that I feel obliged to check it daily but that I find very little truly edifying. Sure, I love my friends, but I don't need to know what they ate for dinner or that they are stuck in traffic. I do miss it, but I have spent more time in prayer, more time in the Word, more time reading to my kids, more time talking to individual friends.

I did not announce my leaving. I actually did it spur of the moment last night. I deleted Facebook from my phone first thing in the morning on Ash Wednesday, but I hadn't decided to deactivate my account. When I sat down at my computer last night, though, I just did it.

I am flattered that at least two people noticed my absence pretty quickly. :-) A friend tried to tag me in a post seeking advice about Dysons and emailed me when she could not tag me, wondering what was up. My sister called me to see where I went. I feel loved (or at least valued....or stalked. Take it for what it is.)

Now, the challenge will be not to let Pinterest and Words with Friends fill in that time that is supposed to be filled with God!

1 comment:

Ms. W said...

Enjoy your Facebreak! I've been off Facebook since October and I honestly have not missed it. It's hard to believe, I know, but once I made the final decision, I haven't looked back.